Programme Manager (38 hours per week)
Save the Children Netherlands is recruiting for an experienced Programme Manager.
Save the Children helps children in need. We give children over the whole world a healthy start, the chance to learn, and protection from injustice and danger. We do whatever it takes to improve the lives of children, and thereby also the future of our world.
Save the Children is there where children need us: in the middle of the community in 124 countries with around 27.000 local staff members. Our Dutch office is based in The Hague with ca. 67 staff members (59,79 FTE) working in the Global Programmes department, The Netherlands Programmes department, Lobby & Advocacy, Communications, Fundraising, Finance and Control departments and a Secretariat.
Role in the organization
This position is in the award management team (consisting of four staff). The team contributes to Save the Children Netherlands by managing a project portfolio and realising efficient and effective cooperation with Save the Children International (SCI) country offices and partner organisations. The award management unit is part of the Programme Department (consisting of 19 staff) within Save the Children Netherlands.
The Programme Manager will manage two consortium programmes: (1) Save the Children’s programme ‘Marriage; No Child’s Play’ within the More Than Brides Alliance (MTBA), consisting of Save the Children (lead), Oxfam-Novib, Simavi and Population Council. The programme's objective is the elimination of child marriage through an integrated multi-sectoral strategy, and it is implemented in five countries (India, Pakistan, Mali, Niger, and Malawi). (2) SRHR-HIV Knows No Borders programme is implemented in six Southern African countries in consortium with the International Organization for Migration (lead) and Wits School of Public Health. The programme seeks to improve SRH and HIV health outcomes amongst target populations (adolescents and young
In this position, you report to the head of International Programmes and work primarily in our office in The Hague.
We are recruiting for an experienced programme manager
You are a highly motivated professional with relevant experience of at least 5 years in the international development sector. You have at least 5 years of experience in programme/project management and project cycle management. Experience in the field of child rights and/or adolescent development, adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights, child marriage, and/or child protection would be an asset. You want to excel at work and aim to deliver high quality support to colleagues in the field (without direct line management) with the aim of the highest quality of results for adolescents at risk. You are result oriented, perform well under pressure and you are eager to help guide, build, plan, monitor, improve, and document the programme. You are willing to travel regularly to co-lead consortium activities and to guide Save the Children activities and support country teams.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Providing programme support to Save the Children Country Offices from a distance and through field visits by:
- planning activities well in advance and monitoring performance against deadlines and milestones,
- proactively identifying and addressing (potential) bottlenecks and issues and ensure timely course correction,
- analysing data and gathering and soliciting further information to support decision making,
- provide clear direction and advice to colleagues in the field, in collaboration with Technical Advisers,
- working in a systematic, methodical and orderly fashion.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues from Save the Children Netherlands, Save the Children International, MTBA members, and IOM, and solicit their timely support and action to help enhance the quality of the MTBA and SRHR-HIV KNB programmes.
- Ensure donor compliance and timely quality reporting.
- Process awards in Save the Children’s international and national database systems.
- Maintain internal contract overview and answering to requests for information from colleagues with regard to the Award Management System.
- In collaboration with the Finance Team and country offices, monitor expenditure and propose amendments to budgets and ensure the allocation of resources according to the budget.
- Consult colleagues, share information, help build team spirit and reconcile potential conflicts.
- Master’s degree in international development studies, public health, social science or similar relevant field.
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the international development sector.
- At least 3 years of field experience in the development sector, working for an (I)NGO, UN organisation or a donor agency.
- Experience with multiple stages of the programme management cycle.
- Knowledge and experience in child protection, (adolescent) SRHR, and/or child marriage will be considered a strong asset.
- Interest in working diligently with a complex database systems, including the Save the Children Award Management System (AMS).
- Knowledge and/or experience with financial programme management.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and working knowledge of French.
- Willingness to travel independently to programme countries.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders at all levels.
- Professional attitude, highly motivated, and excellent team player.
- You have an qualified nationality or permit to work in The Netherlands.
- Residency in or around The Hague is advantage
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure. Candidates will also be expected to participate in the application for a ‘Declaration of Behavior’.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
The vacancy is for 38 hours per week for an initial period of a year. In the case of good performance and a mutual match, a renewed contract is possible. We offer a salary in line with the nonprofit sector, following the government (BBRA) salary scales and based on a 38 hour work week.
Informatie en solliciteren:
For questions about the function, please contact Liesbeth Volkert, coordinator of the award management team: at 070 338 44 48, email: [email protected]
For questions about the application process, please contact Sayonara Kartawirja, HR Officer at 070 338 4448, [email protected]
You can apply for the position no later than 30 September by sending your C.V. and a motivation letter to [email protected]
with the subject line Programme Manager.
A reference check may requested.
Save the Children Netherlands guarantees that we will be careful and respectful with your personal data. We only use your information for this individual application process and with destroy or delete all information within four weeks after the solicitation process unless you give us explicit permission to keep your information on file.
No reactions from external recruiters or outplacement companies, please.