Programme Manager (humanitarian) - fulltime
Save the Children Netherlands is looking for a programme manager (humanitarian).
Save the Children believes that every child deserves a fair chance. Throughout the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protect them from injustice and danger. We do everything necessary to improve the lives of children - and with that the future of our society.
Save the Children is where children need us: at the heart of society in 124 countries with over 27,000 local employees. Save the Children is based in The Netherlands in The Hague. The organization consists of the International Program Department, Domestic Program, Lobby and Advocacy, Communication, Fundraising, Finance and Control and Staff Department (Internal Service) and had a total of 62 employees at the end of 2017 (54.4 FTEs).
Place in the organisation
You will be working in the Humanitarian team, an ambitious team of 4 people that is led by the Humanitarian Coordinator. The team falls under the International Programme Department. At this moment 16 dedicated colleagues work in this department, under the dual mandate of development and humanitarian programmes. This means that the department is responsible for the acquisition, quality management and evaluation of both development and humanitarian programmes. Other teams that fall under this department are the Technical Advisors (TA’s), the EU team, the More than Brides Alliance (MTBA) team and the Award Management team.
The Save the Children office is based in The Hague.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic Programme Manager to join our humanitarian team in The Hague. You will be managing humanitarian programmes including SHO programmes, innovation projects and funding provided by Major Accounts, including strategic partnerships. In addition to this, you’re actively involved in humanitarian acquisition for (non-)institutional donors. This means that you will work closely with other teams within your own department, but also with the Communication or Fundraising Departments. Lastly, you are providing support to the Humanitarian Coordinator and the team to realise our humanitarian strategic objectives.
You are a professional with a creative mind and with a solid experience on humanitarian programming, including programme design and programme implementation. You demonstrate a sound understanding on how to secure humanitarian funding. You are skilled in ensuring high quality programme design based on thorough analysis. You have a proven track record in proposal writing, both for regular humanitarian projects as well as Major Account programmes and innovation projects. You perform well under pressure and you are eager to further build your network, strengthening existing relations with both the donor as well as with other partners in the humanitarian sector.
Responsibilities and tasks:
You support the humanitarian team achieving its strategic objectives, which are focused on ensuring a high level of quality support of Save the Children Netherlands’s contribution to Save the Children International’s humanitarian responses and Humanitarian set-up, and Save the Children Netherlands’s cooperation within the Dutch humanitarian sector. Your tasks will include:
- Adequately manage humanitarian programs in several countries including South Sudan and Tanzania
- Management of contracts including the content of the program and the relationship with the donor
- Actively exploring opportunities for additional/new funding of humanitarian programming, including SHO, Major Accounts and humanitarian innovation opportunities
- Responsible for successful submission of proposals to a variety of donors
- Leading within SC Netherlands on (innovation) themes like Cash, Supply Chain and Integrity
- Supporting the Humanitarian Coordinator and the team in their work on further building the Save the Children Netherlands humanitarian architecture, in the Netherlands and also within the Save the Children International movement
- Contribute and supporting of the annual planning, reporting and administration related to the activities of the Humanitarian Team and humanitarian programs
- Participation in SCNLs Acute Crisis Team when required
- You have a minimum of 5 years post-qualification professional experience in humanitarian aid.
- You have a master degree in a study related to the job profile (e.g. Development Studies, Political Science, Humanitarian Law).
- You have strong program management skills. You can manage programs in complex humanitarian settings.
- You have solid experience with preparing successful funding proposals for a variety of donors. (including SHO, Major Accounts and Innovation funds).
- You can show experience with Humanitarian innovation themes, including topics Cash, Supply Chain and Integrity.
- You are creative and able to come up with new humanitarian funding opportunities and strategic partnerships.
- You are flexible and you have a hands-on approach.
- You can show good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels.
- You are committed to and understand the child rights approach, the Child Rights Convention and have experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines.
- You do not mind to travel for work.
- You have a high level of written and spoken English. Skills in French and/or Arabic will be a strong asset.
- You live preferably in or around the Hague and have permission to work in the Netherlands.
Save the Children has an active safety policy for children. That is why we ask candidates to comply with our code of conduct and to cooperate in requesting a Declaration on the Behaviour.
We are offering:
The opportunity to contribute to the lives of millions of children worldwide! You are part of an international network and you enter in a period where growth and innovation come first. Together with a large group of enthusiastic colleagues you get the chance to achieve great results and at the same time develop yourself further.
The function is for 38 hours per week, for a period of a year with prospects of extension based on proven suitability. We offer a salary that fits within the charity sector, classified according to the salary scales of the national government (BBRA), based on a 38-hour working week.
Information and applying:
For questions about the content of this function, you can contact Martine Bergwerff, humanitarian coordinator.
Telephone: 070 338 4448, email: [email protected]
For questions about the application procedure, please contact Sayonara Kartawirja, HR Officer. Telephone 070 338 4448, [email protected]
You can express your interest in this function by 12th August 2018 by sending an email with motivation letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected]
, stating "Programme manager (humanitair)". The first round of discussions is scheduled for Thursday 16th August 2018.
Requesting references can be part of the application procedure.
Save the Children Netherlands guarantees that we handle your personal data with due care. We only use your personal data for the processing of this application. After termination of the application procedure, all data will be destroyed within 4 weeks unless you give us permission to keep them for longer period.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated