The position (volunteer)
We are in search of qualified volunteer ‘facilitators’ to facilitate the recreational activities of the ‘TeamUp’ at various locations. As a facilitator you are part of an enthusiastic team consisting of four volunteers minimum. On a set day during the week, you and your team will facilitate recreational activities, such as sports, games and dance for children in the ages of 6 up to and including 18 years of age. These children remain in refugee shelters. The recreational activities are setup and structured thematically. You will be trained in the application of these activities and in working with each specific target group.
The purpose of these recreational activities is to instill a feeling of security, of normalcy and of structure within these children and to create a feeling of stability as well. A set team of well-trained facilitators is paramount to this success.
As a facilitator not only are you responsible for the implementation and execution of these recreational activities for, and with the children, but you also have an important role to recognize ‘alarming’ behaviour among the children and if necessary refer those children to the appropriate caregivers. You will be an important link in the care for this vulnerable group of children and the shelters. You know where a child should go to when he or she requires additional help and/or has any questions. During your training and the start of your activities with the children, a great deal of attention will be given to the exploration of the shelter site. Who does what, what can be arranged with whom and how to redirect children, when necessary.
Children’s safety is fundamental to War Child, UNICEF Nederland and Save the Children. We do not accept any form of abuse. This subject will be discussed at great length, during the recruitment and selection procedures.
TeamUp (War Child, Save the Children & UNICEF NL) is expanding its work to more AZCs (Asylum Seeking Centers) in the Netherlands. TeamUp is now looking for facilitators in the following places;
- Luttelgeest and Zeewolde (Flevoland)
- Balk (Friesland)
- Harderwijk, Nijmegen and Zutphen (Gelderland)
- Ter Apel (Groningen)
- Echt, Maastricht, Sweikhuizen and Weert (Limburg)
- Gilze, Grave, Oisterwijk and Overloon (Noord-Brabant)
- Almelo and Hardenberg (Overijssel)
- Leersum (Utrecht)
- Katwijk (Zuid-Holland)
- Goes and Middelburg (Zeeland)
• You have relevant training in the field of, for example, pedagogy, education, sports, games and/or dance, with a focus on children;
• You are 21 years or older;
• You have sufficient experience with the organization and execution of recreational activities for children;
• You have demonstrable experience in working with large and small groups of children;
• You have experience with working with children from various cultures;
• You enjoy working within a multicultural team;
• You have an energetic, can-do attitude and you are able to respond quickly to any situation. You are flexible, able to maintain a clear overview and capable of facilitating activities in a child friendly manner:
• You can work independently, you possess excellent communication skills as well as the ability to resolve conflicts by tapping into your own resources;
• You are part-time available for at least a part of the week (Monday to Friday);
• You are available for at least 9 months with the intention to commit yourself for a longer period to the project. Stability and a sustained commitment from you as a facilitator is vital to this group of vulnerable children;
• You are willing to undergo a four day training initially and are available for eventual follow-up training sessions (two weekends);
• First Aid diploma is a plus.
Do you recognize yourself in the description above and do you want to go to work as part of a motivated team and start contributing by offering structure and stability to refugee children? Apply here
Then we will contact you as soon as possible.
Does your profile not quite fit the picture but you wish to contribute in some way to this project or to one of the initiators? Share this job vacancy in your network!