Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) Advisor
Save the Children Netherlands is looking for an experienced SRHR Advisor.
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children working in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work with our partners to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children Netherlands is based in The Hague with around 54 professionals that support our global programmes on child protection, child rights governance, health and nutrition, and humanitarian response.
About the position
The SRHR Advisor sits in the Technical Advisors Team currently consisting of three staff. The team provides technical advice to enhance the quality of ongoing projects and programmes in its portfolio and realise effective cooperation with Save the Children International (SCI) country offices, regional offices, the wider Save the Children family and partner organisations. The Technical Advisors Team is part of the Programme Department within Save the Children Netherlands. The SRHR Advisor reports to the Head of Programme.
The Technical Advisor will provide technical advice to ongoing SRHR projects and programmes, including but not limited to the ‘SRHR-HIV Knows No Borders’ programme.
Save the Children is a member of the SRHR-HIV Knows No Borders consortium in Southern Africa, aimed at Improving SRHR-HIV Outcomes for Migrants, Adolescents and Young People and Sex Workers in Migration-Affected Communities in Southern Africa 2016 – 2020. The consortium is led by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in South Africa with a research component by the University of the Witwatersrand, School of Public Health. The Consortium has set up a Capacity Building and Technical Support Team of which the SRHR Advisor is a member. The Capacity Building and Technical Support Team provides oversight and technical guidance so as to improve service delivery through capacity building of program staff, implementing partners, change agents and other stakeholders. Save the Children has several other programmes with an SRHR component as well as SRHR projects in its pipeline that the Technical Advisor would contribute towards.
As SRHR Advisor your main responsibility is the provision of technical advice to ensure the highest possible quality programme implementation and results, whilst meeting SCI standards and donor requirements. Tasks and duties include:
Relations & cooperation
- Oversee the quality of programme implementation related to technical area of expertise, and provide technical guidance, support and advice for programme implementation.
- Prepare and deliver capacity development activities, such as trainings.
- Advice Country- and Regional Offices and partners in the development and implementation of SRHR strategies, relevant to the countries’ context.
- Ensure quality delivery of the SRHR interventions and pro-actively steer SC country offices, regional offices and partners.
- Monitor progress to ensure that the goals and results on SRHR will be achieved.
- Ensure timely delivery of high quality reports.
- Help develop and/or review training processes, curricula, tools, Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials and Social and Behavioural Change Communication (SBCC) materials.
- Help develop and/or review capacity needs assessment tools, capacity building strategy and capacity building evaluation tools.
- Conduct site visits to identify and address challenges, opportunities and gaps and ensure timely course correction.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues from Save the Children Netherlands (technical advisors, programme managers, financial programme managers), Save the Children International (Save the Children Country Offices and Save the Children Regional Offices), alliance members (IOM, Witwatersrand university), and solicit their timely support and action to help enhance the quality of the programme and projects.
Who we are looking for
- Liaise and maintain good relationships with Save the Children Netherlands’ colleagues from fundraising, lobby & advocacy, and communication departments. Participate in regular meetings.
- Engage with SRHR-HIV Technical Advisors from other SC Members when needed.
- Liaise with other relevant stakeholders on SRHR-HIV.
- Representing the ‘SRHR-HIV Knows No Borders’ consortium in relevant SRHR-HIV networks.
A highly motivated professional with relevant experience of at least 10 years in the international development sector. You have substantial experience in a technical advisory role, capacity development role and/or programme management role, of which a substantial part of your work has been in the area of SRHR and/or HIV. Experience in the field of child rights and/or adolescent development is an asset. You want to excel at work and aim to deliver high quality support to colleagues and partners in the field (without direct line management) with the aim of the highest quality of results for children and adolescents at risk. You are result oriented, perform well under pressure and you are eager to help guide, build, plan, monitor, improve, and document the SRHR programmes, projects and work tasks to which you will be assigned.
Qualifications & experience
- Master’s degree in international health studies, international development studies, social sciences or similar relevant field.
- At least 10 years of relevant working experience in the international development sector.
- Significant work experience in SRHR and/or HIV.
- Experience in the field of child rights and/or adolescent development is an asset.
- Substantial experience in a technical advisory role, capacity development role and/or programme management role.
- Substantial field experience in the international development sector, working with an (I)NGO, UN organisation or a donor agency.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying and sharing technical and professional expertise
- Drive for results.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders at all levels.
- Able to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
Save the Children Netherlands in The Hague, with regular travel to programme countries.
Depending on experience and qualifications, the salary indication is BBRA scale 10 / 11 with a maximum monthly gross salary range of Euro 4605,-) based on a fulltime (38 hours per week) contract.
We need to keep children safe. Therefore our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our child protection standards, including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
As soon as possible
Please email your letter of motivation and your Curriculum Vitae to: [email protected] by 27 June 2017 the latest.
For further information, please contact Jorieke Streef, Head of Programmes or Kiki van Kessel Sr. Specialist SRHR and Child Protection at tel. + 31 (0)70 3384448