Alliance new business developer/ fundraiser
Save the Children Nederland is hiring a Alliance New Business Developer / Fundraiser
for the More than Brides Alliance.
1. The More than Brides Alliance
The More than Brides Alliance (MTBA), received a Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) Partnership Fund from the Dutch Government to implement a five-year programme (2016-2020) on Ending / Preventing Child Marriage. The Alliance consists of four partners: Save the Children (lead partner) and Oxfam Novib, Simavi and Population Council. The programme is implemented in five countries: Malawi, Niger, Mali, India and Pakistan.
The mission of the MTBA is to improve Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for young people enabling them to decide if and when to marry and pursue their rights in a supportive environment.
To achieve its mission, the MTBA has defined five key result areas:
- Empowering at risk-, and already married adolescents, girls in particular, with life skills education (LSE), Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) and SRHR information.
- Providing alternatives to child marriage and mitigate the impact on married girls, through enhancing access to education-, economic opportunities-, and child protection systems for girls and their families.
- Increasing access to SRHR services for young people.
- Changing social norms.
- Influencing legal and policy frameworks.
For the operational coordination a central Programme Management Unit (PMU) is established at the Head Quarters of the lead partner Save the Children in The Hague, headed by an Alliance Coordinator (AC). A Partnership Steering Committee (PSC) comprising senior representatives of each partner will give the strategic direction to the PMU. In the Netherlands the PMU is supported by a programme committee and a financial committee in which all four MTBA partners will be presented. We are looking for a Business Developer to play a leading role in the MTBA in its mission to combat child marriage. The Business Developer will be part of the PMU team and will be based at Save the Children in The Hague.
2. The Function
The Business Developer is responsible for identifying, prepositioning, and developing proposals for new funding opportunities to actively contribute to MTBA’s mission of combating child marriage as well as providing support on internal communications. He/she will be responsible for acquisition of big grant and/or investment programmes (preferably multi-million, multi-country, multi-stakeholder and multi-annual) for the existing five MTBA programme countries and among others in Nepal and Bangladesh as well as countries in the Sahel and the Horn of Africa - as these are countries where MTBA has an interest but where funds are lacking. He/ she will work in the PMU team in close cooperation with the AC and staff of the partner organisations. The ultimate goal is to get more funding to continue the work of MTBA beyond 2020 and to expand the work of MTBA in current and new countries. This will be done through the development of attractive materials for fundraising and the development of multi-country proposals. To initiate this, the Business Developer will work closely with the Alliance Coordinator and Communications Advisor to establish simple systems for documentation of work to date and to promote increased south-to-south exchange.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Lead pre-positioning for upcoming opportunities and gathering intelligence
- Coordinate proposal development for key opportunities, including setting up proposal development calendars, roles and responsibilities, and timelines, and managing consultants and/or leading the proposal-writing where needed
- Review and update the existing acquisition strategy for institutional fund raising
- In cooperation with the country alliance coordinators and programme managers of the MTBA partners identify and preposition for in-country funding opportunities
- Set up and maintain an international business development network with strategic donors and funders
- Together with the MTBA Communications Advisor and Advocacy Advisor, review existing materials that can be used for fundraising and determine what to update and what new materials to produce (e.g. past performance reviews, etc.)
- Contribute to the positioning of the MTBA both internationally as in the programme countries
- Write business development plans, expressions of interests and coordinate proposal development to acquire complementary funding for the MTBA programme
- Liaise with the fundraising and communication units of the four MTBA partners
- In coordination with the Alliance Coordinator and Communications Advisor, support the establishment and maintenance of simple systems and mechanisms for internal communications, including collecting existing documentation and making it accessible to alliance members across organizations and countries and promoting south-to-south exchange.
- In so doing, familiarize with existing work of the alliance to be able to proactively contribute fundraising ideas.
3. Organisational relationships
The Business Developer is placed under the alliance lead partner, Save the Children in The Netherlands and reports to the Alliance Coordinator.
- Where fundraising strategizing, pre-positioning, and proposal development efforts are concerned, this position provides a leadership function, coordinating relevant stakeholder groups
- Member of the Alliance Programme Management Unit (PMU) working in close collaboration with the AC, the Communications Advisor, and the Advocacy Advisor
- Member of the Programmes Coordination Committee together with the programme managers of all alliance members
- Coordination with the fundraising and communication units of the four MTBA partners
- Coordination of fundraising activities with country alliance coordinators in the programme countries
- Representation of MTBA and liaison with donors and business partners internationally and where possible in the programme countries
4. Profile, key qualifications
- Academic level, ideally in field related to International Development Cooperation
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience and proven track record in institutional fund raising, including proposal development coordination, development of acquisition strategies and/or writing business development plans.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills including facilitation, coordination and working with multicultural teams
- Knowledge of one or more relevant technical areas, such as adolescent sexual reproductive health and rights, child marriage, gender, education, youth economic empowerment, etc.
- Ability to translate programmatic data and information into attractive and convincing communication material
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Innovative and strategic thinker able to operate within a conceptual flexible environment
- Brings a relevant business development network
- Entrepreneurial and able to take initiative
- Preparedness to travel to the alliance programme countries
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Dutch and/or French language skills would be preferred
5. Duty station
- Save the Children Office in The Hague, the Netherlands
Save the Children has an active child safeguarding policy. We ask candidates to comply with our code of conduct and to cooperate in requesting a Declaration on the Behaviour.
We are offering:
The opportunity to contribute to the lives of millions of children worldwide! You are part of an international network and you enter in a period where growth and innovation come first. Together with a large group of enthusiastic colleagues you get the chance to achieve great results and at the same time develop yourself further.
The function is for 26 hours per week (0,7 FTE), for a period of a year with prospects of extension based on proven suitability. We offer a salary that fits within the charity sector, classified according to the salary scales of the national government (BBRA), based on a 38-hour working week.
6. Information and Applying
For questions about the content of this function, you can contact Sarah Harris, MTBA Alliance Coordinator. Telephone: 070 338 4448, email: [email protected]
For questions about the application procedure, please contact Sayonara Kartawirja, HR Officer. Telephone 070 338 4448, [email protected].
You can express your interest in this function by 7 juni 2019 by sending an email with motivation letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected], stating "Job title". The first round of discussions is scheduled for 13 and 14 June 2019. Requesting references can be part of the application procedure.
Save the Children Netherlands guarantees that we handle your personal data with due care. We only use your personal data for the processing of this application. After termination of the application procedure, all data will be destroyed within 4 weeks unless you give us permission to keep them for a longer period.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.