Geschokt en ontdaan door laffe aanval op kinderen en hulpverleners

Geschokt en ontdaan door laffe aanval op kinderen en hulpverleners

8 doden bij luchtaanval op ziekenhuis Save the Children in Jemen

Update - Dinsdagavond bereikte ons triest nieuws. We hoorden dat ons ziekenhuis in Kitaf, op het platteland van Jemen, is getroffen door een luchtaanval en dat er zeven mensen zijn omgekomen.

Inmiddels weten we dat er zelfs acht doden te betreuren zijn: vijf kinderen, die naar het ziekenhuis waren gekomen voor hulp, en drie collega’s. De omgekomen kinderen zijn een jongetje van 8, een van 10, twee van 12 en een van 14.
 
Wij zijn geschokt door deze laffe aanval. Verdrietig, vanwege het verlies van vijf onschuldige kinderlevens. Ontdaan, omdat drie collega’s die zich in uiterst moeilijke omstandigheden bleven inzetten voor zieke kinderen er niet meer zijn. Maar ook boos, omdat een ziekenhuis een veilige plek hoort te zijn en nooit het doelwit mag zijn van een aanval.
 
De raketaanval vond uitgerekend plaats op de dag dat de oorlog in Jemen zijn vijfde jaar inging. Alleen al het afgelopen jaar stierven in Jemen 226 kinderen en raakten er 217 gewond als gevolg van luchtaanvallen. Dat zijn er 37 per maand. 

26 maart 2019
Bij een luchtaanval eerder vandaag op een ziekenhuis van Save the Children in Ruraf in Jemen zijn vier kinderen en 3 volwassenen om het leven gekomen. De bommen ontploften vlak nadat het ziekenhuis zijn deuren had geopend. Tot de dodelijke slachtoffers behoren een gezondheidsmedewerker en een beveiliger in dienst van Save the Children.

“We zijn geschokt en ontdaan door deze laffe aanval”, zegt Helle Thorning-Schmidt, CEO van Save the Children. “Onschuldige kinderen en gezondheidswerkers hebben het leven verloren in een schijnbaar willekeurige aanslag op een ziekenhuis in een dichtbevolkt gebied. Aanslagen zoals deze zijn in strijd met het internationaal recht.”

Lees hieronder het volledige persbericht in het Engels: 

Seven killed in bombing of Save the Children-supported hospital in Yemen 
 
SANA’A, YEMEN (March 26)—Four children were among seven people killed today when a hospital supported by Save the Children in Yemen was hit by an airstrike. Two other adults are unaccounted for.
 
A missile struck a petrol station near the entrance to Ritaf rural hospital, about 100km from the city of Saada in the northwest of the country, at 9.30am.
 
The hospital had been open for only half an hour and many patients and staff were arriving on a busy morning. They included a health worker who died along with their two children. 
 
Also among the dead were two other children and a security guard. In addition to those killed and missing, a further eight people were wounded in the attack.
 
The missile was said to have landed within 50 meters of the facility’s main building on the fourth anniversary of the escalation of conflict in Yemen. 
 
Save the Children, which reported earlier this week that 37 children a month had been killed or injured by foreign bombs in the last year, demanded an urgent investigation into the latest atrocity.
 
Helle Thorning-Schmidt, the chief executive of Save the Children International, who visited Save the Children health facilities in Yemen last year, said: 
 
“We are shocked and appalled by this outrageous attack. Innocent children and health workers have lost their lives in what appears to been an indiscriminate attack on a hospital in a densely populated civilian area. Attacks like these are a breach of international law. 
 
“This hospital is just one of the many Save the Children support across Yemen, delivering life-saving aid to children living in what is the worst place on earth to be a child. These children have the right to be safe in their hospitals, schools and homes. But time after time, we see a complete disregard by all warring parties in Yemen for the basic rules of war. Children must be protected. We must Stop this War on Children.”
 
Save the Children, which covers some of the staff costs at the hospital, is calling for an immediate suspension of arms sales to warring parties in Yemen, where children continue to be killed and maimed indiscriminately. 
It is also calling for full diplomatic pressure to be applied to all parties in the conflict to resolve it through consultation and negotiation, and for those who commit violations of international law to be held to account.